The credit union was founded in 1948 by a group of employees from the Hudson Pulp and Paper Mill. It was initially run out of a cigar box in a desk drawer. The credit union was chartered under the name of HP&P Federal Credit Union and was dedicated to serving the employees of the paper mill and their immediate families.
Growing & Maturing
Over the next twenty years, the credit union began to grow. That small cigar box in the drawer was replaced by offices in the plant?s administrative area. In 1973, HP&P Federal Credit Union opened its first stand-alone facility on C.R. 216, across the street from the plant. The property for the site was generously donated by the Hudson Pulp and Paper Mill. The Hudson Pulp and Paper Mill was sold to corporate giant Georgia-Pacific in 1979, and HP&P Federal Credit Union changed its name to G-P Federal Credit Union
Expanding Services & Membership
G-P Federal Credit Union continued to add members and services. In 1985, the credit union added cash services and completed renovations that doubled the size of the office on C.R. 216. At the same time, the field of membership was expanded. This change permitted extended family members to take advantage of the credit union?s popular low-cost services.
In 1996 the credit union opened its first branch office in the Big Lots Shopping Center in Palatka. The Big Lots branch gained immediate acceptance as a convenient alternative. As a result, lobby traffic steadily increased. The need for a permanent solution was evident.
Embracing The Community
In August of 1998, the new branch at 306 South Palm Avenue was opened. Designed with state of the art features, the 11,000 square foot building became the new headquarters for credit union operations. During that same year, G-P Federal Credit Union was granted a community charter and changed its name to G-P Community Federal Credit Union. In May of 2003, the credit union's charter was converted from federal to state and the name was changed to First Coast Community Credit Union. 2008 brought historical changes to First Coast Community Credit Union and nearby Putnam County Teachers Credit Union. The members of Putnam County Teachers Credit Union, chartered in 1953 to serve the teachers of the area, voted to merge with First Coast Community Credit Union and the merger was completed July 1, 2008. After a charter approval to include Flagler County in the field of membership, the Board of Directors and Management of FCCCU researched contiguous counties along with existing membership bases to strategically choose Palm Coast as the location for new branch expansion. In March 2009, the branch located 120 Belle Terre Parkway in Palm Coast Landing at The Palm Coast Town Center opened to serve existing and new members in Bunnell, Palm Coast and Flagler areas. In December 2010, the members of Putnam County Federal Credit Union voted to merge with First Coast Community Credit Union and the merger was completed on January 1, 2011.
Looking Confidently Toward The Future
Now serving all who live, work, worship, attend school or own a business in Putnam and Flagler Counties. Family members of current members are also eligible to join. First Coast Community Credit Union continues to expand to serve its members and is striving to be the premier financial institution in Putnam and Flagler Counties.